How to Apply for a Nonprofit Grant
Grant requests are reviewed twice a year, in April and October.
All applications, including both Steps 1 and 2, for April review must be totally completed and submitted by March 1.
All applications for October review also must have completed Steps 1 and 2 and submitted by September 1.
Organizations seeking a general discretionary grant from the Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation must first submit the following:
- Submit your organization’s information and include a concept proposal of no more than 1,000 words describing the organization's mission and the proposed project for which it is applying for a grant.
Concept proposals may be submitted at any time. Foundation staff and/or the Grant Review Committee will review Step 1 material to determine whether the project meets current grant making priorities and guidelines. The contact person listed on the Concept Proposal sheet will be notified regarding whether the proposal has been selected for further consideration. Applicants should NOT complete or submit Step 2 until notified the Concept Proposal has been approved and selected for further consideration. However, Step 1 and 2 both must be completed and filed prior to a final review. Final deadline for the April review is March 1 and for the October review, the deadline is September 1.
THE CONCEPT PROPOSAL MUST BE SUBMITTED BY EMAIL USING THE FORM BELOW. No mail request will be accepted.
If the proposal has been selected for further consideration, a staff member has contacted the organization to proceed, the following information will then be required:
- Mission and history of the organization (two pages maximum)
- Project description
- Project budget
- Estimates from contractor or vendor
- Sources of other funds for project
- Organization funds available for project
- Project schedule
- Copy of IRS determination letter
- Financials to include: current balance sheet, last fiscal year profit and loss statement, and current year to date profit and loss statement.
- List of board members, including mailing address and email address for each
- Most recent IRS form 990
ALL ABOVE INFORMATION MUST BE SUBMITTED BY EMAIL. Mailed information is not accepted.
The Foundation Grant Review Committee will conduct site visits, if appropriate, and perform its investigation of the application. The committee recommendation will be submitted to the Board of Directors for final consideration. Applicants will be notified immediately of action taken by the Board of Directors.
Any questions pertaining to the grant application process should be directed to Foundation’s Executive Director Julie M. Badger at (757) 789-0910 or email@example.com.