The Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation is pleased to provide nonprofit organizations access to online resources as they work to strengthen our community.
The resources shown here do not imply endorsement by the Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation.
Starting A Nonprofit
- VOLUNTEER Hampton Roads Provides training and resources for nonprofits in southeastern Virginia.
- The Planning Council Helps evaluate community needs and plan solutions for them.
- The Nonprofit Resource Center Features links to a variety of online resources for nonprofits.
- National Center for Charitable Statistics The national clearinghouse of data on the nonprofit sector in the United States.
- Internal Revenue Service Tax information on charities and other nonprofits.
- Virginia Department of Taxation Provides information on applying for nonprofit sales and use tax exemption status.
Creating An Effective Board
- BoardSource Provides information about building effective nonprofit boards.
- Compass Point Provides a free online newsletter for nonprofit board members.
Strategic Planning and Management
- Alliance for Nonprofit Management This professional organization is devoted to improving the management and governance of nonprofits.
- Free Management Library Provides a variety of links to help nonprofits with strategic planning an management.
- Internet Nonprofit Center Publishes Nonprofit FAQ and links users to numerous sites dealing with strategic planning and management.
- Independent Sector Works to strengthen, empower and partner with nonprofit and philanthropic organizations on behalf of the public good.
- Nonprofit Finance Fund Provides capital and advice to help nonprofits strengthen their mission, improve their capacity to deliver services and strengthen their communities.
- Nonprofit Risk Management Center Provides webinars and timely topics for nonprofits.
- Charity Advantage Helps nonprofits with website development, computer donations and computer purchase-assistance programs.
- CommonCraft Free, easy-to-understand and entertaining videos that show how to use all kinds of technology from software to social marketing tools.
- Nonprofit Technology Network Offers a free monthly newsletter focused on effectively using technology.
- Grassroots Fundraising Inc. Provides tips and tools for effective fundraising.
- Community Foundation Locator Provides links to community foundations serving specific geographic regions.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals Works to advance philanthropy and has a chapter in Hampton Roads.
- The Foundation Center Offers a searchable database of grantmaking organizations nationwide. Access must be gained onsite at Volunteer Hampton Roads or the Virginia Beach Public Library.
- Grant Select Offers a searchable database of grantmaking organizations nationwide. Free access must be gained by going through Virginia Beach and Chesapeake public library Websites.
- Grantsmart Facilitates communication between grantmakers and grantseekers by making available public 990 tax returns of private foundations and charitable trusts.
Communications and Marketing
- Nonprofit Marketing Guide Offers helpful publications, webinars and blog focused on improving nonprofit communications and marketing efforts.
- Nonprofit Communications Center Online resource with a variety of information about nonprofit communications.
- Spitfire StrategiesProvides a free interactive chart to guide nonprofits through the communications planning process or to evaluate a campaign that is in progress.
- Stanford Persuasive Technology Lab Lists guidelines for website credibility as part of the lab’s ongoing research into websites.
- The Communications Network Helps foundations and nonprofits communicate more effectively by providing web-based seminars, links to publications and The Jargon Finder, an online tool that helps nonprofits avoid using abstract, meaningless words.
- Sociable Media Author Cliff Atkins, author of Beyond Bullet Points, is one of the best PowerPoint designers. His site has advice, examples and discussions to help anyone create powerful presentations. Resources include free webinars and temples from the Beyond Bullet Points book.
- PollingRepport.com Provides information on recent polls by CNN, NBC, CBS an other organizations that make help support a point an organization wants to make.
- The SPIN Project Features information and tutorials that help nonprofits improve communication by targeting audiences, developing relationships with reporters and linking them to other helpful websites.
- Beth Kanter’s Blog Focuses on nonprofit use of social marketing tools.
- Chris Brogan’s Blog Teaches new ways to put social marketing tools to work.
Publications and E-newsletters
- The Grantseekers Gazette Monthly e-newsletter from the Hampton Roads Community Foundation highlights grant opportunities, courses and other timely nonprofit news.
- Getting Attention Gives insiders’ tips to improving nonprofit marketing and offers a free report on taglines for nonprofits.
- Straight Talk Focuses on common sense public relations and strategic planning for nonprofits.
- The Duck Pond Highlights effective communications techniques for nonprofits.
- Publicity Hound Provides creative tips on gaining media attention.
- Free-range Thinking Monthly e-newsletter provides simple ways to make nonprofit communications better.
- Contributions Highlights ways to improve fundraising efforts.
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy The newspaper of the nonprofit world.
- The NonProfit Times A printed publication providing information about nonprofit management.
- Philanthropy News Digest The Foundation Center’s online news source.
- The Nonprofit Quarterly Offers a free online newsletter about nonprofit issues.
- Volunteer Today Online newsletter carries news about volunteerism.
- Blue Avocado Delivers intriguing and uplifting nonprofit news and tips.
- The Council on Foundations – a non-profit membership association of grant-making foundations and corporations.
- Community Foundations of Virginia – A listing of all 27 Community Foundations in Virginia with addresses and contact information.
- GuideStar – a searchable database that provides information on nonprofit organizations.
- Fast Web! – a searchable database on scholarship resources.
- Community Foundations – provides information about community foundations, which are the fastest growing segment of philanthropy.
- SmartScholar - a scholarship research tool