Who We Are
The Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation (ESVCF) is a permanent charitable endowment established in 2005 to benefit residents of Virginia’s Eastern Shore. We are affiliated with the Hampton Roads Community Foundation, one of the country’s largest and most experienced community foundations.
A community foundation connects people with causes they care about-- education, the arts, human services or any other area of concern.
Our purpose is to enrich the lives of the people of Virginia's Eastern Shore. These grants meet a broad range of needs by:
- Enabling donors to meet their charitable goals through prudently administered permanently endowed funds.
- Offering a comprehensive array of services to encourage, advance and educate donors concerning effective philanthropy.
- Making critical grants to meet current and emerging community needs and opportunities.
What We Do
The Foundation supports the work of 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organizations dedicated to improving life for residents of Virginia’s Eastern Shore. Highest priority for grant funding is for organizations serving the counties of Accomack and Northampton. The Foundation provides discretionary grant funding to nonprofits that serve in one or more of the following areas:
- Family, Child and Social Welfare – to improve the quality of life for families and communities, particularly in the areas of basic human needs
- Public and Civic Life – to preserve and increase access to our unique community assets
- Arts and Culture – to promote broad-based participation in arts and cultural activities
- Education – to improve students’ readiness to learn and ability to succeed in school and in life
- Health – to support healthcare services and wellness education through community-based organizations
- Environment – to support environmental preservation and education
In addition to our mission and vision, the Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation is guided by certain values and principles. We believe:
- Building a permanent unrestricted endowment provides the best resource for meeting the future needs of the community.
- Making strategic and transformational grants is the most effective way to create positive changes in the community and inspire philanthropy.
- Funding across a spectrum of social services, the arts, civic projects and the environment is our mandate; focusing on education and healthy families as the foundation for individual success and community vitality is our priority.
- Treating our donors, grant applicants, volunteers and employees with equal respect is essential to the success of our mission.